From Claire K
- 500g fresh-picked, firm, ripe mulberries
- 500g sugar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Pull all the stems of the fruits and put them into a large saucepan.
- Heat it over medium heat and crush the berries to squish out the juice.
- Bring it to a boil then add the sugar and lemon juice.
- Reduce the heat and stir the mixture until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring it back up to the boil for a few minutes and then bottle and seal the jam.
- Store it in a cool, dark place and it should keep up to 2 years.
From Manu’s Menu
- 350 gms – 2 ½ cups mulberries cleaned
- 300 – 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
Mix the mulberries, lemon juice, and sugar in a pot.
Cook, stirring, for about 20 to 30 minutes or until thick.
While the jam is cooking, put a small plate in the freezer.
After 20 minutes, when the jam appears like it is beginning to gel, put the fire off.
Put a small amount of jam on the frozen plate and return it to the freezer for a few minutes. If it wrinkles when you nudge it, it’s ready. If not, cook it some more and test it again until it’s ready.
Store the jam in sterilised jars.